Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Understanding Personality and Preferences

Quiet awaits...

I am an incurable introvert. I love thick books, the crashing breath of the sea, and the quiet hours of the night. Small talk is my nemesis. Put me on stage in front of a thousand people and I won't break a sweat. Ask me to mingle, or network, or make friends...and I am frozen solid. And not in the singing snowman kind of way.

The other parts of my personality feel less overwhelming. As an "architect", or INTJ, I am an introverted thinker who loves to ask why. I fall on the more assertive side of the spectrum, which means when I have something to say, I'm not afraid to spit it out. After first receiving the INTJ label in high school, it has consistently popped up every time I take the test. This latest round (only a few days ago) was no exception. I took the test, and was once again the same as always. This personality fits me well, and after many years of struggle I wear it proudly. 

 (Flickriver, 2010, 12 September)
For a long time, being an INTJ was a challenge. My school was not built for introvert success (Cain, 2012, 2 March). I longed to be open, bubbly, and less awkward in conversation (three goals I have yet to achieve). Similar to Susan Cain's experience, my book-reading, quiet habits were seen as odd and anti-social (Cain, 2012, 2 March). Ms. Cain's recent stance on the positives of introverts resonates deeply, and I sincerely hope that tomorrow's introverted child will be prized for his or her uniqueness instead of chastised for a lack of social skills.

I lead multidisciplinary teams in my current role, and use Ms. Cain's suggestions to help guide my team management strategy. As a fellow introvert, I work hard to create space for everyone to think and speak while balancing the extrovert's need for stimulation (Cain, 2012, 2 March). I am confident in my ability to manage this balance within the team context, but learned quite recently that I still have room to grow. Early in the year, a new co-worker joined my office. At the time I was thrilled. Two months into her tenure, I started looking for another job. I was at the end of my rope. She drove me crazy.
Introvert fashion accessory! (Ear muffs, 2017)

Thankfully, before I quit the solution came to me one early morning on the treadmill. Ah-ha! My new co-worker is an extreme extrovert. She talks all the time. She talks all the time because she needs stimulation to feel alive...and it was killing me. That very day I spoke with my manager who was able to arrange a separate, private office for part of the work week. Due to this timely intervention my sanity is again intact and my co-worker and I are getting along just fine. I only wish I had realized this weeks earlier. Why was I looking for a new job when all I needed was a little space? This experience highlighted the need for self-awareness in a world full of human interaction. As I watched Ms. McHugh's presentation on this very topic, I realized that both my co-worker and I have the right to be our true selves (McHugh, 2013, 15 February). The world needs both my quiet thoughtfulness and her bright kindness. It is up to each of us to model our true self every day and allow others the space to do the same (McHugh, 2013, 15 February). In my previous experience as a leader I found that it was also helpful to talk about the true self, calling out uniqueness and how it positively contributes to good patient care. As I strive to honor others every day, some wisdom from my dad plays on repeat, "Remember that Jesus died for him (or her) too."

(QuoteHD, 2017)


This experience ties in nicely with the topic of conflict resolution. As an INTJ, I tend to stew over problems until a suitable solution presents itself (as happened in the situation described above). At that point, my natural tendency is to communicate the solution bluntly as if the problem is solved. This technique works well with my manager, who is also an INTJ. Unfortunately, the INTJ personality is quite rare so this strategy is absolutely ineffective the majority of the time (16Personalities, 2017).  I, and other introverted leaders, must work tirelessly to ensure extroverts have the space to talk through problems in a stimulating environment. Conversely, I always appreciate my extroverted colleagues' efforts to intentionally create quiet time (Cain, 2012, 2 March). As Ms. Caspersen discusses, conflict is a not a problem to solve, but rather a place to start (Caspersen, 2015, 13 July). Healthcare needs nimble, savvy leaders who leverage conflict to improve outcomes (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015). We must individualize our approach to our colleagues just as we individualize care to the patient. This is difficult to achieve, especially on days that are already full of stimulation. The most helpful tip I received was from a Human Resources colleague, who said, "My first responsibility is not to myself. It is to the patient." Keeping this simple 'why' in mind is the best way for me to stay centered. As discussed earlier, management of conflict resolution must begin with the leader understanding his or her self.  This awareness coupled with cultivation of an open, honest, and curious mind has the potential to move the leader's skills forward (Campbell & Clarke, 2015, 13 July).

In a recent Ted Talk, Mr. Semler discusses his unorthodox, democratic company structure (Semler, 2015, 10 February). This style, although very unique, meshes well with the aforementioned individualized personality-conscious approach to leadership. Although many of Mr. Semler's ideas may not work in the highly regulated healthcare environment, the spirit of giving staff creative space remains valid. It is valuable to take a step back and evaluate the healthcare workplace. Which rules are absolutely necessary? How can nurses be allowed the freedom to grow, learn, and own their profession (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015)? As Mr. Gutsche suggests, companies (healthcare included) die when 'business as usual' becomes the strategy (Gutsche, 2015, 5 March). It is necessary to take risks and capitalize on new, innovative ideas. Where does the healthcare leader begin? Ms. Ledgerwood's advice becomes particularly helpful at this point. Working hard to stay positive in the face of negative experiences (regulatory restrictions and resource limitations) is a critical component of forward motion (Ledgerwood, 2013, 22 June). As an eternal pessimist, this advice is hard to hear and harder to implement. I must continue to both know myself and learn how to grow past those qualities that hinder progress.

Soul Print Path (2017)

Leadership is incredibly complex. Though I have no direct reports, my leadership abilities (and challenges) have widespread and often unpredictable effects. For example, when I am able to effectively engage an extroverted colleague during a meeting, this affects not only the outcome of the meeting but also forms the foundation for a long-term professional relationship. Successful quality work is built on such relationships, and therefore one interaction has the potential to influence my effectiveness for months (or even years).  This web of human relationships and its effects on outcomes is a great example of complexity science where the sum (a group of unconnected interactions or partnerships) is still somehow less than the whole (self-propagating organizational culture) (Ebright, 2010, 2 February). All in all, viewing day-to-day interpersonal and leadership interactions from the systems level increases my personal drive to improve.

In summary, the relationship-based style of leadership that my job requires is less Industrial-Age and more Digital-Age (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015). I must engage each stakeholder in the way that fits his or her personality, and leverage uniqueness to achieve cost-effective results. It is not enough to dictate. Leadership is a participation sport (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015). Only through self-awareness and modeling does the leader inspire and drive change.  The team is watching, and nobody wants to follow a leader who fails to 'walk the talk' (Porter-O'Grady & Malloch, 2015).

Gandalf gets it right (Hypable, 2014, 3 January)


References

16Personalities. (2017). Architect personality (INTJ). Retrieved from https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

Campbell, C.M. & Clarke, S. [TEDx Talks]. (2015, 13 July). Conflict: Use it, don't defuse it. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97fVGTjE4w

Cain, S. [TED]. (2012, 2 March). The power of introverts. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

Caspersen, D. [TEDx Talks]. (2015, 13 July). Conflict is a place of possibility. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfQeH3092Sc

Ebright, P. [mentorsgallery]. (2010, 2 February). Complex adaptive system theory. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFFEJqz9YA

Ear muff photos (2017). Ear muffs. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjb9u7O5OvSAhWph1QKHZ0aA_QQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Falyssaboivin%2Fear-muffs%2F&psig=AFQjCNGH6VbgUnUBIG0GiIQxv24YUmKOrg&ust=1490329611735555

Flickriver (2010, 12 September). Emily Dickinson quote. Retrieved from http://www.flickriver.com/photos/a_hrefhttps06flagcountercommoremjaimg_srchttps06flagcountercomcountmjabgfffffftxt000000bordercccccccolumns6maxflags25viewers0labels0_altfree_counters_border0a/5054568533/

Gutsche, J. [Trend Hunter]. (2015, 5 March). Better and faster. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFshvhzcCVw

Hypable (2014, 3 January). 10 J.R.R. Tolkien, LOTR, hobbit quotes from middle earth to live by. Retrieved from http://www.hypable.com/j-r-r-tolkien-quotes-birthday-lotr/

Ledgerwood, A. [TEDx Talks]. (2013, 22 June). Getting stuck in the negatives (and how to get unstuck). [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFLTDQ4JMk

McHugh, C. [TEDx Talks]. (2013, 15 February). The art of being yourself. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veEQQ-N9xWU


Porter-O’Grady, T. & Malloch, K. (2015). Quantum Leadership: Building better partnerships for sustainable health (4th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.

QuoteHD (2017). Conflict quotes. Retrieved from https://www.quotehd.com/Quotes/Words/Conflict/12_25

Semler, R. [TED]. (2015, 10 February). Ricardo Semler: Radical wisdom for a company, a school, a life. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4vzhweOefs

Soul Print Path (2017). Einstein quote. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/182184747401672123/

No comments:

Post a Comment